Pages

Monday, November 05, 2012

Adding PATH of directory in mint linux

I spent several hours trying to figure this out. There are so many resources in the internet that it is often difficult to get what we really need. I am writing it down here in case I forget again one day (or if anybody is experiencing the same problem).

Some suggested modifying the .bashrc files, some suggested to modify the etc/profile file, but what worked for me was by modifying the "environment" file. I just searched for the environment file using the search facility of mint linux's finder, then modify it by adding my directory path. 

From PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games" 

to 

PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/home/fendrri/modeling/dock6/bin"

 Logged out, logged back in, and I was able to execute all the files within my target directory. Nothing fancy, but it worked out for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent !!
Thanks very much